You are looking at the 4,931 reported bicycle crashes in the City of Chicago from 2007-2009, as reported to the Illinois Department of Transportation. There are 12 fatalities.
- View alternative crash map, made with GeoCommons - includes more data
- Use Google Fusion Tables to view it as a table, a heat map, to filter data, or to download the data.
- View in Google Earth (downloads a KML to your computer)
- View the FAQ.
- Map version 1 created on February 9, 2011.
- Map version 2 replaced version 1 on February 23, 2011, adding injury and fatality information, as well as clearer info windows. I also corrected the data: I added 2009 data twice to version 1 so the total number of crashes reported, 6,369, was incorrect. The correct number of crashes is 4,931.
I created this for Chicago to show what many seem to already feel. I also created it for my peers around the world to show how easily you can create free maps.